[Samba] Samba + RAID + High speed...

Agustin Eguia agustin.eguia at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 08:34:22 GMT 2009

Hello everyone,

I have some questions regarding RAID5 + XFS + Samba + High speed
network. I have configured a server with an Areca Controler (SATA) with
10 x 1 TB HDs. The controle is configured with two RAID5, one of 5 TB
the other 3 TB. The machine also has 8Gb of ram, the OS runs on a SDD
drive (no mechanical parts), and has two dual quadcore Opterons.

I formated the partitions with XFS to have the best speed. The two RAID
partitions are mounted over specific folders that are shared via Samba
to the network.

Since a lot of data will be moved I created a bonding over 6 Intel Gbit
ports connected to the switch (the switch is also configured with the
proper LAG).

I still "feel" this configuration could be running faster, anyone has
any idea where I could optimize it ? (the XFS format paramaters, Areca
setup, bonding parameters, etc).

I know this is not specialy Samba related, but it's the first time I
drop on the network a linux server for high speed storage by myself, so
I'm sure there are a lot of things that can be tuned.

Thanks,

A.