[Samba] Windows 7 .vhd "The version does not support this version of the file format" error

terry+samba at tmk.com terry+samba at tmk.com
Thu Dec 31 21:12:38 MST 2009

  I searched the archives for this particular error message, and only found
one match from a user doing backups from Windows Server 2008 R2.

  I'm running FreeBSD 7.2 with (initially) SAMBA 3.3.9 from the FreeBSD
Ports Collection. I have a very simple config (included below).

  The client is Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (RTM version w/ all Windows updates
applied).

  I can create a Virtual Hard Disk (.vhd file) on a SAMBA share from within
Windows' Computer Management / Disk Management and then use the .vhd file
with no problems. However, if I then detach the VHD (or reboot), any at-
tempt to re-attach the VHD results in the rather cryptic Windows error mes-
sage "The version does not support this version of the file format". I have
tried it with both the drive spec and the UNC spec with the same result.

  If I copy the VHD file to the local hard drive on the Windows machine, I
can mount it with no problem, so the file itself isn't corrupted.

  Thinking that this might be either something odd w/ the FreeBSD port vers-
ion or a new/corrected feature in the latest SAMBA, I downloaded 3.5.0pre2
and built it from source (all configure options defaulted except the file
paths). Running that version (confirmed with smbclient from another FreeBSD
box) didn't change the behavior. I added the "max protocol = smb2" config
file line, restarted SAMBA, and rebooted the Windows 7 PC. The problem per-
sists.

  Looking in the SAMBA logs, I don't see anything unusual.

  Is this a known issue? Are there any configuration or debugging steps I
could take to help the SAMBA developers with this?

  Here is my smb.conf file (3.5.0pre2 version):

[global]
        server string = fileserver
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50