[Samba] Issue Joining Win7 to Samba Domain (tried wiki instructions)

Linda Walsh samba at tlinx.org
Tue Dec 22 17:25:03 MST 2009

Moray Henderson wrote:
> The server string is Ishtar, but that is not the server name; you need
> to set "netbios name" for that.
----

  Wouldn't the hostname take care of that?  That's the name of the
  machine.

  I don't recall ever adding that param before (remember, this does work
on an XP machine, and _did_ work on Win7 at 'one point'...but Win7 lost
it's trust relationship with the Server.

  At one point, I was trying to add a 2nd interface to each box (servers
& clients) over which I could use 9k packets instead of the standard
1500 byte packets.  I added a 2nd interface on each client that could
participate in the 9k network, and created a 2nd ip network at
192.168.5.x, paralleling their 1.5k 192.168.3.x network addr.  It was
during this time that I lost the network trust relationship.  So I
thought it had to do with that.  But now, having expunged from the
configs and setups all traces of the 192.168.5. network, there's been no
change.

  The SMB server seemed confused by seeing a 2nd addr for itself.  I saw
traffic and log messages that made me think that the server thought its
"other interface addr" was a separate server trying to be the DOMAIN
MASTER for the same domain.  But with the Win7 client getting trust
probs, and then not able to join, I decide to go back to basics, and
only use the 1.5k size until I could get all the kinks out again.

>  Your domain is Bliss, but you also have a netbios alias for Bliss;
>  could that be confusing something?

   I've tried multiple ways (including w/o it), this smb.conf is merely
my current/latest attempt.  :-)

>  My setup has "server signing =
>  No", and I don't know the recycle option.
---
   Tried it both ways, but since Win7 expects it, and the default for
servers is "on", I thought I'd go with compatible in this iteration.

> Do you see anything useful in /var/log/samba/log.smbd or log.athenae
> if you bump up the debug level?
---
  Nothing useful up to debug level 4.

> Could something have changed on your
> server between the successful join a few weeks ago and the attempt to
> rejoin after reinstalling?
---
  Much -- especially considering the many things I tried before asking
on here.  I found out that my internal DNS wasn't even functioning and
my internal host resolution was being done completely through 'nmb' for
my win clients.

> Do you have other Win7 clients that do
> work?
---
  Just the one win7 (and one winxp).  Only have 1 SMB server right now.

> Could there be another server on your network intercepting
> domain requests?
---
  I'm on an isolated internal net, so no connections outside this
network (except through a proxy/email gateway).

> nmblookup "BLISS#1C"
> should list the IP address of the Domain Controllers of Bliss.
---
  And it's loopback address.  Those are the two I get.

> You said you had used Wireshark; have you also tried tcpdump at the
> server end?
---
  I use wireshark on the server end (it's running linux).
---

>  Win XP had a command line utility called nbtstat; does
> Win7 still have it?  If so, try something like
>
> nbtstat -a Ishtar nbtstat -c
---
  Win7 doesn't have that command and I don't know what it's equivalent
is.