[Samba] mac client: folder copy problem

George K Colley gcolley at apple.com
Thu Dec 17 00:32:23 MST 2009

On Dec 16, 2009, at 11:24 PM, Volker Lendecke wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 11:16:24PM -0800, George K Colley wrote:
>> The lack of support of the BSD MODES flags in Samba is a
>> known issue that we hope to solve in a future release. We
>> will never be able to support Samba correctly without
>> these bits, but plan on doing a better job in the
>> future.It would be nice if Samba would support the
>> following flags the same as the DOS Attributes. That would
>> solve so many issues:)
>>
>> BSD hidden Flag  - DOS Attribute Hidden
>> BSD immutable - Windows Read-Only bit
>> BSD archived - the reverse of the BSD archive bit
>>
>> But the UNIX extensions does not require this support, but
>> this causes the Mac OS Client to have several issue.
>
> Where in the protocol do these show up? In a unixinfo call?
>
> If they directly map to the Windows attributes, it should be
> possible to splice them into our Winattr logic (x permission
> bits or the EA xattr).
>
> Volker
So the UNIX INFO2 call both FindFirst and Query have support for these fields. In the Samba Docs at http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/UNIX_Extensions#SET_CIFS_UNIX_INFO.

4	108	ULONG	FileFlags	File flags enumeration
4	112	ULONG	FileFlagsMask	Mask of valid flags
If the client is doing a set with the UNIX_INFO2 level and it does not want to alter the FileFlags, it should provide a FileFlagsMask of 0.
The defined set of file flags is
File Flag	Value	Interpretation
EXT_SECURE_DELETE	0x00000001	File should be erased such that the data is not recoverable
EXT_ENABLE_UNDELETE	0x00000002	File should opt-in to a server-specific deletion recovery scheme
EXT_SYNCHRONOUS	0x00000004	I/O to this file should be performed synchronously
EXT_IMMUTABLE	0x00000008	NO changes can be made to this file
EXT_OPEN_APPEND_ONLY	0x00000010	Only appends can be made to this file
EXT_DO_NOT_BACKUP	0x00000020	Backup programs should ignore this file
EXT_NO_UPDATE_ATIME	0x00000040	The server is not required to update the last access time on this file
EXT_HIDDEN	0x00000080	User interface programs may ignore this file

We only care about the EXT_IMMUTABLE, EXT_HIDDEN and EXT_DO_NOT_BACKUP(reverse  of the DOS Archive Bit)

Set Query UNIX Info2 allow us to set these values.

George