[Samba] UNIX accounts needed for machine accounts?

Lukas Haase lukashaase at gmx.at
Wed Dec 16 08:07:12 MST 2009

Ralf Hornik Mailings schrieb:
> Lukas Haase <lukashaase at gmx.at> wrote:
>
>> Maybe I could use aliases to point the machines branch into the ou=int
>> branch? But I have no experiences with aliases etc.
>
> Why don't you simply move the ou=machines into your ou=int? None samba
> related users do not need machine accounts.

Yes I think that is the one solution. But the reason why I did not yet
do it is simple: Because the machine Accounts are not users!

Look again at my tree:

dc=example,dc=com
  + ou=groups
  |  + cn=Account Operators
  |  + ...
  + ou=machines
  |  + uid=workstation1$
  |  + uid=workstation2$
  |  + ...
  + ou=users
     + ou=int
     |  + uid=user1
     |  + uid=user2
     |  + ...
     + ou=ext
        + uid=user3
        + uid=user4
        + ...

So I would need to move the machines tree into the users tree what is
semantically not correct. But maybe the one solution?

Regards,
Luke