[Samba] How is "Canonicalized pathnames" bit handled by samba server??

prasanna lakshmi a.prasanna.lakshmi at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 02:56:08 MST 2009

Hi,

Can anyone explain what is the use of the "Canonicalized pathname" bit in
the SMB header's flags field. How is it handled by linux samba server.
What are the implications of this bit being set or not set??

I am facing a problem accessing a share on Linux server using rtsmb cifs
library. I get BAD_NETWORK_NAME error and the share access fails. But the
same share access passes when directly accessed from Windows using "net
use". I observed the ethereal packet capture, and the only difference found
was that, when accessed through windows the "Canonicalized pathname" bit is
set and when accessing using rtsmb cifs library the bit is not set.

thanks,
Lakshmi Prasanna