[Samba] winbind and samba 3.3.9

Wasim Bashir bashirwz at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 9 03:43:02 MST 2009

Hi,

We have a small cluster of 4 webservers running iis 7 (windows 2008 64 bit)
with an AD domain controller and  a samba server.
Recently we have had issues where a webserver will randomly lose the network
share, the only way to fix this is to restart  winbind or samba,

When we  restart winbind this fixs the problem with the server in question
however each of the other web servers servers lose their connectivity in 5
minute intervals, so in actual fact we have to restart winbind 4 times for
all servers to be fully functioning again.

When the connectivity is lost (and before i restart winbind/samba) , i can
still run wbinfo -u on the samba server and it will authenticate fine
however the user won't have access to their home directories due to
insufficient permissions error, when i check the permissions they have
reverted back to the unix uid, if i do a chown with the correct sid the
directory is available again...

Does anyone have any ideas why this is occuring and whether anything is
wrong with my samba.conf ?

[global]
        security = ads
         syslog = 0

        max mux = 16384
        log file  = /home/sites/samba-log/log.%m
        max open files = 100000
        realm = WEBHOSTING.INTOFFICE.COM <http://webhosting.intoffice.com/>
        password server = 10.0.9.1
        workgroup = WEBHOSTING
        idmap backend = tdb
        idmap uid = 500-2000000
        idmap gid = 500-2000000
        winbind enum users = yes
        winbind enum groups = yes
        template homedir = /home/sites/%U
        template shell = /bin/bash
        client use spnego = yes
        client ntlmv2 auth = yes
        encrypt passwords = yes
        winbind use default domain = yes
        winbind nss info = template rfc2307
        restrict anonymous = 2
                idmap config WEBHOSTING : schema_mode = rfc2307
                idmap config WEBHOSTING : backend      = ad
                idmap config WEBHOSTING : range        = 500 - 300000000

#to fix smbd moaning about hom not being available...
[hom]
hide dot files = no
path = /home/sites
read only = no