[Samba] License agreement

Mon Dec 7 08:36:21 MST 2009

With GPL software, you don't have to ask permission (and you can't ask permission here anyway, since most people on this list - including me - are simply users, not authorized to speak on behalf of the Samba copyright holders). You must meet certain terms, though.

Hire an intellectual-property lawyer who is familiar with the GPL to determine exactly which terms apply to your situation. There actually are many proprietary products that use Samba, so it can be done.

The general rules are:

You can redistribute GPL code freely as long as you also redistribute the source code.

You can make any changes you like, as long as you also redistribute the changed version under the GPL (and make the source code available).

Now if you want to use it in a proprietary product, your easiest option is to change your product's licensing, and also make it available under the GPL.

Or you can keep smbclient segregated from your code. I believe usually the rule is: if you link to GPL software, you must GPL your software as well. If you merely use it as a separate utility, you can use your own license without a problem.

Of course, you are always free to contact Andrew Tridgell directly to ask if he is willing to license Samba to you under different terms (and of course you'd have to pay for that privilege). To be honest, my guess is that chances are likely very slim.