[Samba] Getting Windows XP drivers from print$

Torkil Svensgaard torkil at drcmr.dk
Fri Dec 4 10:02:54 MST 2009

Ryan Suarez wrote:
> Torkil Svensgaard wrote:
>> I have two very similar printers set up on CUPS and Samba is
>> configured to share the drivers. I had been playing around with
>> setting up a RAW printer queue with native Windows drivers but
>> eventually gave up on that. I deleted all printers and redid them from
>> scratch and now only one of them works.
>>
>> Setup:
>> Ubuntu Karmic 2.6.31-15-server #50-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 10 15:50:36 UTC
>> 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>
>> Samba Version 3.4.0
> What issues did you have with windows drivers?

The driver for HP 4650 downloaded from hp.com wouldn't install through
APW. I also tried doing it through rpcclient which worked so much as I
followed every step in the Samba guide for it with no errors, but
Windows XP wasn't able to download the driver files from the Samba server.

> Try using v3.3.x and see if you have better luck.

I am not too keen on downgrading, as I am setting up a domain that needs
to be Windows 7 compatible.

I did some more testing today with the postscript drivers and it seems
there is a "reference" for gyldendal somewhere which screws things up
because if I name the queue differently (same .ppd etc) everything works :S

I tried deleting every reference to it from the Windows registry as well
as in Samba, as far as deleting the 3 .tdb files in /var/lib/samba
before reinstalling but it is still impossible to have a printer called
gyldendal.

Are there any other files besides the 3 nt*.tdb which hold information
about printers I could delete?

Thanks,

Torkil