[Samba] Active Directory DNS Registration

Casey Allen Shobe casey at shobe.info
Thu Dec 3 07:31:04 MST 2009

Hi,

I'm using a domain where the DNS is hosted by a couple of domain controllers
on the network, outside of my control.  I do have ability to work with group
policy and active directory users and computers.

I was able to join a samba/linux computer to the domain using 'net rpc join
-S <IP of local DC/DNS server>'.

This caused an entry for the computer to show up in Active Directory,
however the name is in lower-case letters whereas all the Windows computers
show up in upper-case, and if I view properties on the object, it doesn't
show any details like an O/S or anything else.

I am then able to resolve the samba host by name just like I can for Windows
computers *from a Windows computer only*.

While a linux computer is capable of resolving windows hosts by name since
it's using the Windows DC as the DNS server, for whatever reason it cannot
resolve samba hosts by name.

Can anybody please point out what I'm doing wrong or what else I need to do
to get this working?  Also, is it possible to register multiple names in
Windows DNS for an IP with Samba?

--
Casey Allen Shobe
casey at shobe.info