[Samba] Which version do I need for SMB2?

John Klimek jklimek at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 04:20:40 MDT 2009

Thanks very much for the help.

I'm using a private network so I don't need to worry about
authentication security (eg. Kerberos, etc) and because I'm using
Windows Server 2008 I have the option of using SMB or NFS.

I'm serving both a Windows client and a Linux client but with Windows
Server 2008 I can use SMB for the Windows client and NFS for the Linux
client.  (eg. W2K8 can support both NFS and SMB at the same time)

I was only wondering which is faster for Linux because I can choose
between either technology.

I guess I'll just try to benchmark both protocols on Linux and see
which is faster.  I was just trying to get some opinions on which
would be better in my situation.  (eg. serving large video files from
W2K8 to Ubuntu 9.04)

Thanks for the help,
John