[Samba] Using LDAP authentication

davefu davefury at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 06:46:14 MDT 2009

Hi guys. I'm trying to make a fresh samba installation authenticate against
an already working OpenLDAP installation. I'm wondering if there is a way
for Samba to use pam libraries, in the same way my Debian server is actually
configured to use the LDAP users in addition to the ones locally created in
the system.
I've noticed samba has internal support for LDAP authentication, but the
thing is I don't have access to the LDAP administrator's password (which is,
according to lots of tutorials, one of the requirements to know in order to
make it work).

The OpenLDAP server is already working with other Samba Servers which I
don't have access to, so it can be considered ready for the task. I just
need to know if I should aim for the pam-ldap solution, or focus more on
smb.conf and use ldap as pass backend, figure out the ldappassword and
"smbpasswd -w adminldappasswd" it, etc, etc.

Thanks in advance!