[Samba] Win98 asks for IPC$ password <SOLVED>

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Aug 13 13:47:02 MDT 2009

On Thursday 13 August 2009 13:47:00 Helmut Hullen wrote:
> Hallo, Steve,
>
> Du meintest am 13.08.09:
> >> You need to enable lanman password support on your Ubuntu Samba
> >> server:
> >>
> >> [global]
> >> 	lanman auth = yes
> >> 	client lanman auth = yes
> >
> > My experiments indicate that "client plaintext auth = Yes" is also
> > necessary. I don't know why, but the dreaded IPC$ password symptom
> > happens if that is left out.
>
> Maybe the Windows 9x clients are set to unencrypted passwords.
>
> Long time ago that was the default for Windows and for Samba.
>
> Now "encrypted passwords" is the default for Windows and for Samba.
>
> Viele Gruesse!
> Helmut

Many greetings to you too, Helmut! My high school German is pretty much
forgotten, but now we have Babblefish -- who needs an education (I did remember
what Viele meant).

Anyway, my understanding is that unlike original Win95, Win98 defaulted to
encryption, and a quick look in my registry revealed no plain text hack.
Whatever that Samba option is, it's not about sending actual plain text
passwords. That option sure does sound ominous though, doesn't it?

Thanks, and Viele Gruesse!

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package