[Samba] Samba HA issue

Liutauras Adomaitis liutauras.adomaitis at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 06:06:05 MDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 7:39 PM, David
Christensen<David.Christensen at viveli.com> wrote:

> With samba configured for high availability using heartbeat, I am not
> able to join new computers to the domain after a fail over.  If I fail
> back to the "main" samba instance I can join the computer to the domain.
>
> However With samba in a fail over state and running on the backup PDC
> users can still authenticate and gain access to their shares.
>
> I have the two instances of samba configured nearly identical except for
> having them pointed to the instance of ldap that is running on the
> server itself (which is being replicated).  Is there something else,
> some tdb file etc,  that needs to be shared between the two instances of
> samba so a fail over appears identical to the ldap backend?
>
> Thanks.

If you are running PDC+BDC configuration with LDAP backend with
replication, then you must have master to master replication. In case
of master - slave replication you canot write ot slave while your
muster is not accessible. Usual slave has a redirection to master for
write operations. Slave is readonly and thats why you can authenticate
to BDC, but cannot join new machines to the domain.
This may be your case

Liutauras