[Samba] Dynamic Home Shares

Ken Lupo lupok at saline.k12.mi.us
Wed Apr 8 17:21:08 GMT 2009

Hello,

I am attempting to dynamically create user shares when they connect to the
server based on their username. I cannot use [homes]. My reasoning for this
is that the users require a $ at the end of the share or it becomes
confusing to them(long story). What I'm seeing is that some Windows XP
clients will connect to /home/<username> but other clients try to connect to
/home/<username>_ (with an underscore). For a work around I have symlinked
all home folders from <username> to <username>_

Here is my smb.conf file:

[global]
        workgroup = PC
        realm = PC.DOMAIN.COM
        server string = FILE
        security = ADS
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        local master = No
        idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
        idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
        winbind use default domain = Yes
        winbind offline logon = false
        store dos attributes = Yes
        ea support = Yes
        dns proxy = no
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192
SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_KEEPALIVE
        inherit acls = yes
        inherit permissions = yes
        map acl inherit = yes