[Samba] OSX client, Linux server, permissions problem

barsalou barjunk at attglobal.net
Sun Sep 28 21:28:09 GMT 2008

I've been using samba for some time and have always had a good experience.

I decided to try and configure my home network to let all my computers
talk to the samba share.

I'm stuck on one part where my OSX client, when creating new
files/directories, won't create them writeable by the group.

I've tried what seems like every combination of directory mask, force
directory mode, etc. but I'm unable to get the OSX client to create
folders with 770 permissions on any newly created folders.

What I'd like to do is find a way to "see" all the permission's that
are getting applied to that directory when it is getting created.

This isn't a production box, so I'm willing to try anything at the moment.

The good news is that it does create new files and folders...just that
other users can't modify them.

I do have logging turned up, but do not know what I should be looking for.

Scenario:

Client - OSX 10.5
Server - Ubuntu 7.04, XFS mounted /home, Samba 3.026a

Share section of smb.conf

[shared]
path = /home/shared
available = yes