[Samba] Rid generation

Nuno Fernandes npf-mlists at eurotux.com
Fri Sep 19 07:49:20 GMT 2008

On Thursday 18 September 2008 18:27:11 John H Terpstra wrote:
> On Thursday 18 September 2008 11:48:44 Nuno Fernandes wrote:

> > > Samba does not generate the Rid, that is a Microsoft Domain Controller
> > > function (allocation of rids is controlled through the Rid master if I
> > > remember my MCSE days correctly)
> > >
> > > Samba is simply querying the domain controller for the Sid. If samba is
> > > being used as a dc, then I guess it must basically do the same thing as
> > > Microsoft and generate the rid from 1000 onwards incrementally for each
> > > user, similar to what happens for unix uids I expect, since rids and
> > > uids are basically the same idea on different platforms.
> > >
> > > -h
> >
> > I don't have any windows domain controler. This samba server is the
> > domain controller. What i would like to know is how does samba generated
> > the RID part? Is it based on what? How is it calculated?
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Nuno Fernandes
>
> Did you check the Samba3-HOWTO?  It is available on-line in HTML or in PDF.
> The HTML version is at http://www.samba.org/samba/docs. The PDF can be
> downloaded from:
> http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba3-HOWTO.pdf
>
> The PDF has hotlinked index at the back, you will find RID listed in the
>
> If this does not answer your question please let me know.
Hi,

I've read the docs and can only find (in page 238) the default rids for some
of the users and groups used by windows. The problem is that i'm trying to
migrate from AD to samba. I've used some dump tools to generate the smbpasswd
of the domain. Next i do pdbedit -i to import it to tdb. But i want to make
sure that the sids remain the same so that the the local profiles remain
accessible. So i would like to know how does pdbedit get the rids from? Is it
from the unix UID and if so, i would have to create the users with special
UIDs so that later on when i do the pdbedit import the users RID is correctly
defined.

Thanks
Nuno Fernandes