[Samba] User permissions - nil authorised users

Richard Foltyn richard.foltyn at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 15:03:33 GMT 2008

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 4:37 PM, dfirth <denys.firth at gmail.com> wrote:

> I had thought that user security needed to match the users actual user name
> and password in windows. So I was surprised by this behaviour.

This is not correct. security = user only means that users
authenticate themselves by providing a username/password that matches
a username/password in the *Samba* user database.

By default, Windows uses the currently logged in user to authenticate
against samba, that's why you can seamlessly connect to samba shares
if the windows user/password happens to match a user/password
combination in Samba's user database.

However, you can just as well specify any other username/password to
connect with, independent of the currently logged in Windows user.

HTH,
Richard