[Samba] Integrating Samba into a Database and configured for OpenVPN

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 13:11:07 GMT 2008

> checkout: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdbsql/
>g e
> there is a passwd backend for mysql and pgsql.
> you can combine it with nss-mysql and pam-mysql.
>
> the pdbsql is for samba 3.0.x and 3.2.x !!
>
> have fun..

My reasoning for bringing up LDAP is I did not believe mysql is a good
choice for this because with any non trivial network you will need
more than 1 password server otherwise if one goes down every one is
prevented from working. I just looked and mysql does support master /
slave replication so I guess  this will not be a big problem:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/replication.html

John