[Samba] time sensitive error "the specified network name is no longer available."

William Marshall bmarsh at us.ibm.com
Wed Oct 29 21:09:56 GMT 2008

I have a user w/ puzzling error. We have not been able to get a tcpdump or
significant samba log, but I'm posting to see if anyone else has seen
this. I did find some older posts that point to possible
client issues.

We're running samba 3.0.25b on RHEL4.

The user reports:
I am getting an error whenever I want to make a copy of a MS Excel file on
my shared network drive:

(From windows explorer) I was trying to create a copy, and when I do the
paste I get the error.
Cannot copy _filename_: The specified network name is no longer
available."

And then the file that is created is corrupt. The original file is about
240K.

Now for the timing part. If she executes the copy command, and waits
(count 1,2,3,4 seconds) then it seems like it works.

Thanks,
Bill Marshall