[Samba] heimdal and windows compatibility up-to-date informations

Guillaume Rousse Guillaume.Rousse at inria.fr
Fri Oct 10 09:14:10 GMT 2008

Pascal Levy a écrit :
> On Wednesday 08 October 2008 12:54:48 Guillaume Rousse wrote:
>> I'm back on this old question, because I'm now really working on it.

>>> Windows does not allow the password attributes to be manipulated like
>>> that.  You could potentially read and set passwords with Samba4's
>>> DRSUAPI synchronisation, but you can't do it with just Heimdal or just
>>> LDAP.
>
> I don't know if this could be usefull for you but what we are doing here is to
> keep real users passwords only in heimdal KDC.
>
> openldap authentication is made by using sasl mechanism with
> {sasl}principal at REALM as userPassword chain
> AD authentication is made by using a trust relationship with heimdal KDC and a
> mapping beetwen AD accounts and heimdal KDC principals. ldap/heimdal/AD
> accounts are keep in sync with a perl script running each 15 min.
> AD userPassword is a (very) long random chain created by the perl script and
> set in AD with ldap tools.
>
> users can change there password by using normal windows change password
> interface. Admins can use heimdal tools to manage passwords directly on the
> kdc.
That's sound really interesting, but I don't understand some points:

- how do you have AD knows it can get a kerberos ticket from the heimdal
KDC ? Did you set the user userPrincipalName attribute to a principal
from heimdal managed realm ?

- is the AD userPassword attribute ever used in this case ?

- what's the exact usefulness of having OpenLDAP auth redirected to SASL
mechanism ? Just for managing a single password ? We have heimdal using
openldap as backend, and use smbkrb5 overlay to keep them synced
already, so it may be useless for us.

- how do you prevent ExOP PasswdChange to rewrite userPassword attribute
with a normal value, and keep '{sasl}principal at REALM' instead ?

- what exact cyphers did you use to ensure compatibility between heimdal
and your AD controller ? From Heimdal documentation, we used
des3-hmac-sha1 and des-cbc-crc, but it's quite old. From previous Andrew
answer, I understand we may use arcfour-hmac-md5 as well now.

Thanks for your input.
--
Guillaume Rousse
Moyens Informatiques - INRIA Futurs