[Samba] processes not closing

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Oct 6 23:49:52 GMT 2008

On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 01:55:59PM -0500, Doug Tucker wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 19:37 +0200, Helmut Hullen wrote:
> > Hallo, Doug,
> >
> > Du (tuckerd) meintest am 03.10.08:
> >
> > > Umm..ok.  I can just state the facts, I'm not pretending to
> > > understand them.  To make sure I'm communicating properly, If I do:
> >
> > > /etc/init.d/smb restart
> >
> > > the old processes and locked files are gone
> >
> > Sure?
> >
> >         ps aux | grep [sn]mbd
> >
> > is more reliable. Ok - it only shows processes, no locked file.
> >
> > Viele Gruesse!
> > Helmut
>
> Oh, you know what, I have provided some bad info, please forgive me.
> I'm thinking one thing and you can't see what I'm doing.  At the OS
> level, the process *IS* gone.  However, smbstatus still shows the
> process alive, and the user cannot access the file until it no longer
> shows up in smbstatus (such as on a samba restart).  Oddly, it even
> shows up with the same pid as what you just killed.

Ok, if you're killing smbd with a kill -9 then it doesnt'
get chance to clean up its share mode records and so you
will see this. However, as subsequent smbd's notice this
pid no longer exists they should self-clean out the dead
open mode records (Samba is designed to be self-repairing
this way).

Jeremy.