[Samba] Cannot get shares to show up

Jesse Stone jstone1999 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 16:46:09 GMT 2008

Thanks Ryan,

NOTE:  Question at bottom.  :)

I guess I need to review the Samba documentation better.  I was using the
examples provided in smb.conf and thought that "Browsible" meant that people
other than "Valid Users" could see the stuff inside a share.

For example,

My "Home" directory comes up as a share in Network Neighborhood but it also
has browsable=no which is confusing:

[homes]
comment = Home
valid users = %S
read only = no
browsable = no

I'm not disagreeing with you, just pointing out how I was confused.  I will
read through the documentation again on shares to ensure I am setting them
up correctly.

QUESTION:  Simply using preexec to mount a drive prior to showing the
contents doesn't sound like it'll be a robust enough solution when you have
multiple people hitting the same share.  Is it common practice to point pre
and postexec to a script that determines whether a mount has already been
mounted?  Does anyone have any examples of a script that does this?

I am learning Python and have no problems attempting to write this myself as
it seems fairly straight forward.  I guess my question is more "Is this the
best approach?"

-Jesse