[Samba] User's Profile stored in a NFS share

Tarak Ranjan contacttrm at yahoo.co.in
Fri Nov 28 05:57:44 GMT 2008

--- Tarak <contacttrm at yahoo.co.in> wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I want to store users Profile in a NFS mount, but
> the problem is after
> joining the client to the domain It's not creating
> the corresponding
> folder structure for roaming profiles,
>
> Here is my smb.conf  under Debian
>
> [global]
>    workgroup = LOCAL
>    netbios name = LOCAL-DOMAIN
>    server string = %h server (debian, DC)
>
>    passdb backend = tdbsam
>    security = user
>    username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
>    name resolve order = wins bcast hosts
>    domain logons = yes
>    preferred master = yes
>    wins support = yes
>
>    # Set CUPS for printing
>    printcap name = CUPS
>    printing = CUPS
>
>    # Default logon
>    logon drive = H:
>    logon script = scripts/logon.bat
>    logon path = \\server1\profile\%U
>

>    # Useradd scripts
>    add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m %u
>    delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel -r %u
>    add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
>    delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g
>    add user to group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -G
> %g %u
>    add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s
> /bin/false/ -d
> /var/lib/nobody %u
>    idmap uid = 15000-20000
>    idmap gid = 15000-20000
>

>    # sync smb passwords woth linux passwords
>    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
>    passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
> *Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
>    passwd chat debug = yes
>    unix password sync = yes
>
>    # set the loglevel
>    log level = 3[homes]
>    comment = Home
>    valid users = %S
>    read only = no
>    browsable = no
>

> [printers]
>    comment = All Printers
>    path = /var/spool/samba
>    printable = yes
>    guest ok = yes
>    browsable = no
>

> [netlogon]
>    comment = Network Logon Service
>    path = /home/samba/netlogon
>    admin users = Administrator
>    valid users = %U
>    read only = no
>

> [profile]
>    comment = User profiles
>    path = /home/samba/profiles/*lkuserprofiles*
> (this is mounted as NFS , )
>    valid users = %U
>    create mode = 0600
>    directory mode = 0700
>    writable = yes
>    browsable = no

let me put some details,

Server X is a Samba server
Server Y is a NFS server

now i have mapped the particular NFS share of Server Y
in Server X, to store the user's profiles.

here is my /etc/exports file in Server Y...

/backup1/LK/profiles
192.168.1.163/255.255.255.255(rw,no_root_squash,sync)

,
hence the problem is samba is not able to create any
file to that mapped share, but manually i'm able to .
and the permission of  /home/samba/profiles  is

debian:~# ls -l /home/samba/profiles/
total 12
drwsrwsrwx  2 root    users   4096 Nov 27 08:33
lkuserprofiles
drwx------ 14 root    root    4096 Nov 26 07:56 root
drwx------ 13 testing testing 4096 Nov 25 22:54
testing

ls -l  /home/samba/profiles/lkuserprofiles/d
-rw-r--r-- 1 root users 0 Nov 28  2008
/home/samba/profiles/lkuserprofiles/d

/\
Tarak