[Samba] Why does the server want to connect to a client

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 13:32:50 GMT 2008

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 6:08 AM, Marc Muehlfeld
<Marc.Muehlfeld at medizinische-genetik.de> wrote:
> John Drescher schrieb:
>>
>> When this delay happens is there what seems like a very large amount
>> of packets being sent by the windows machines that exhibit these
>> problems?
>
> It's not more than on other clients. But the delay is caused, because the
> server tries to open a connection to the client (where the XP firewall is
> dropping the packages - but the file-/printsharing service isn't running,
> too). And because the packages are dropped (like on all other clients in the
> network too), it seams that the timeout comes from.

Okay then it does not look like a problem I was having a few years
back. My problem was the XP client tried contact network printers that
had been deleted from a users profile (and no longer existed) every
time the user opened the print dialog.  When this happened tens (if
not hundreds) of thousands of packets were generated from the XP
machine in a few seconds. The fix was to delete a registry setting on
XP that still contained the old printer.

John