[Samba] Netbios : Network Browsing on multiple subnets

Scott Lovenberg scott.lovenberg at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 14:04:57 GMT 2008

smainklh at free.fr wrote:
> Hi all !
>
> I have a PDC and a BDC in 2 differents subnets.
> I would like to sync their browse list but it doesn't seem to work.
>
> Actually here are a part my smb.conf files :
>
> PDC
> ------------------------------
> remote browse sync = 10.10.20.10
> remote announce = 10.10.20.10
> security = user
> encrypt passwords = true
> domain logons = Yes
> os level = 70
> preferred master = yes
> domain master = yes
> local master = yes
> wins support = Yes
> -------------------------------
>
> BDC
> --------------------------------
> remote announce = 10.10.10.1
> remote browse sync = 10.10.10.1
> wins support = yes
> security = user
> encrypt passwords = yes
> domain logons = Yes
> os level = 69
> preferred master =no
> domain master = no
> -------------------------------
>
> The BDC is unable to find the Domain Master Browser
>
> nmblookup -U venise -R 'DOMAIN#1B'
> name_query failed to find name domain#1b
>
> nmblookup -U BDC -S PDC
> name_query failed to find name PDC
>

> log.nmbd
> -------------------------------
> [2008/11/14 11:55:51, 0]
> nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:find_domain_master_name_query_fail(351)
>   find_domain_master_name_query_fail:
>   Unable to find the Domain Master Browser name DOMAIN<1b> for the workgroup
> DOMAIN.
> [2008/11/14 12:03:59, 0]
> nmbd/nmbd_incomingdgrams.c:process_master_browser_announce(383)
>   process_master_browser_announce: Not configured as domain master - ignoring
> master announce.
>
> I really need help, the BDC has to be moved in another place.
>
> Thank you !
>
> Smaine

I believe you want the 'wins server =' and/or 'wins proxy' settings
instead of the 'wins support' setting.

Table of wins settings from "Using Samba", ch07
<http://de4.samba.org/samba/docs/using_samba/ch07.html#samba2-CHP-7-TABLE-1>
The entry on 'wins server =' and 'wins proxy' is just under this table.
Unless I'm mistaken, wins proxy/wins server combination is the only one
that will allow cross subnet wins replication (other than DNS/LDAP
combination).  IIRC, you'll want the wins servers to be master browsers
on their respective subnets, as well.