[Samba] Samba in a Linux to Linux scenario

Julio Cesar Gazquez jgazque0 at rosario.gov.ar
Thu Nov 6 14:41:00 GMT 2008

Hi list.

I'm trying to replace a NFS remote filesystem with a Samba share, and while
I'm pleased to find CIFS supports POSIX semantics and Samba implements them,
I haven't managed to get it working properly in this case.

In particular, I have two issues:

First, permissions looks right in the client (ie, the same as in the server),
and users accesses are restricted correctly. But the client's root account
doesn't have full access as it have in the local case.

And also, while the permissions looks ok with preexistent files, new files are
always owned by the mount account, not by the effective user account that
creates the file.

I understand the client-server (or single user workstation/server) philosophy
behind SMB, but I hope there is a way to use it to serve multiple users on an
application server.

--
Julio César Gázquez
Area Seguridad Informática -- Int. 736