[Samba] nsswitch.conf WINS Configuration Conflict

Joris Korbeeck korbeeck at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 5 17:25:01 GMT 2008

Smbclient worked fluently to create tar compatible backups of all files on an SMB/CIFS share. For which I used an Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Server Edition configuration with LAMP, OpenSSH, Samba and BackupPC packages installed.

Testing with smbclient \\\\win-pc\\share -U administrator -d 3 (debugging level 3) returns:

(...)
name_resolve_bcast: Attempting broadcast lookup for name win-pc
Got a positive name query response from 192.168.1.61 ( 192.168.80.1 192.168.40.1 192.168.1.61 )
Connecting to 192.168.1.61 at port 445
Password: ******
Doing spnego session setup (blob length=111)
(...)
Domain=[***] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
dos_clean_name []
unix_clean_name []
smb: \>

Although, and here comes the problem, when I add WINS hostname resolution to the native methods used by the UNIX system, controlled by /etc/nsswitch.conf (e.g. hosts: files wins dns), BackupPC encounters errors ("Got fatal error during xfer (No files dumped for share share)") during tar backups of Samba shares.

I added wins to /etc/nsswitch.conf in the first place to make commands like ping win-pc and ssh ubuntu-pc work.

Testing with smbclient \\\\win-pc\\share -U administrator -d 3 now only returns:

(...)
resolve_hosts: Attempting host lookup for name win-pc
Password: ******
smb: \>

Workaround: removing hosts from Samba's name resolution order setting in /etc/samba/smb.conf seems to solve the problem, but is in my opinion not the right solution.

Thanks in advance,
Joris