[Samba] Transferring Local User Profiles When Joining Domain

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue May 27 19:42:04 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 27 May 2008 02:29:35 pm Leandro Tracchia wrote:
> i have about a dozen users who i would like to join to the samba domain
> (pdc). how can i preserve their existing local windows xp user profiles
> when they join the domain??? this is a big issue because i want my users to
> experience this migration as easy as possible and not notice anything
> different.

Migrate the profiles to your Samba domain using the tools Microsoft provides.

1. Log onto the PC that has the profile.
2. Join the Samba domain.
3. Log onto the PC as the domain administrator (root, or whatever you have
called this account)
4. Click: Start
5. Right-click on My Computer, select Properties, select Advanced, select User
Profiles
6. click on the user profile you wish to migrate
7. Click on CopyTo, and follow the prompts.

Make sure you give the new domain user account full access control to the
profile before you copy it to the Samba PDC profile share.

Not very difficult is it?

- John T.