[Samba] NetBIOS name resolution from Linux

Chris Smith smb23 at realcomputerguy.com
Sat May 17 15:22:18 GMT 2008

On Saturday 17 May 2008, Olivier Parisy wrote:
> > It's good to avoid security=share, especially if you want to run
> > WINS.
>
> I understand this. But that is simpler, and enough for me. That share
> is only used by local, trusted computers.

Much less difficult than anything else involved here; it's just plain
old good practice, will save you a headache or two down the road. And
if you want non-static netbios resolution you need WINS.

> By the way, people on #samba seemed surprised by the fact that I
> needed to install the winbind packet to gain access to ls
> /lib/lib_wins.so.2. Is this the same with other distributions (I am
> using Debian Etch)?. Is there as an example a way I could compile and
> install only this library, without winbind?

I mentioned this in a post last year sometime. Thought it was odd as
well but no replies were forthcoming. If you compile samba w/o winbind
you don't get the needed library. You don't have run winbind, but you
need to compile samba that way.

> I should have definitely stated this from the start. My setting is
> the following: a Windows host embedding a Debian virtual machine.
> Both get Internet connectivity and IP addresses through the DHCP
> server of a small xDSL routing box.

> So yes, I could hardcode everything or, at the opposite of the scale,
> install a full DNS and WINS solution.

Frankly I would just hardcode the hosts and lmhosts files (they should
be identical) on both OS's. Way too fast and easy for that setup.

--
Chris