[Samba] smbmount deprecated - what about Windows 9x?

Helmut Hullen Hullen at t-online.de
Mon May 12 10:12:00 GMT 2008

Hallo,

I've just installed Kernel 2.6.25.2 - works fine.

But now when I use "smbmount" for mounting shares from my Win9x clients
the system (kernel) tells me

  smbfs is deprecated and will be removed from the 2.6.27 kernel. Please
migrate to cifs.

But at least Win9x seems not to like cifs. Mounting via smbfs works
since years, mounting (with the same options) via cifs produces several
error messages. The ugliest is

        no such file or directory

and "strace" shows that mount.cifs (or some subroutine) doesn't accept
the share. It finds the other server ...

Can I use "smbmount" even with kernel 2.6.27 (or newer)? May be cifs is
better, but I need to mount Win9x shares.

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut