[Samba] XP share not listed in Linneighborhood

Guenter Kukkukk linux at kukkukk.com
Thu May 1 00:06:06 GMT 2008

Am Mittwoch, 30. April 2008 schrieb Larry Alkoff:
> Guenter Kukkukk wrote:

> >> Sorry Günter but I made a mistake with nbtstat -n.
> >> On winpro there was an old copy of nbtstat in a directory from Windows
> >> 98 but on my path.
> >>
> >> I renamed _that_ nbtstat and then
> >> which nbtstat
> >> found the real nbtstat in \windows\system32.

> >> The result of nbtstat -n
> >> Local Area Connection 3:
> >> Node IpAddress: [10.22.44.11] Scope Id: []
> >>
> >>                  NetBIOS Local Name Table
> >>
> >>         Name               Type         Status
> >>      ---------------------------------------------
> >>      WINPRO         <00>  UNIQUE      Registered
> >>      LANET          <00>  GROUP       Registered
> >>      LANET          <1E>  GROUP       Registered
> >>
> >> Local Area Connection 4:
> >> Node IpAddress: [0.0.0.0] Scope Id: []
> >>
> >>      No names in cache
> >>
> >> What does this result show for my problem?
> >>
> >> Larry
> >
> > Have a look here how netbios names are registered and
> > what kind of resource type is used - the <00> or <1E>
> > in your output.
> > http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/691e1e3f-0ac1-45a2-b19a-cf7ef25ade4b1033.mspx?mfr=true
> >
> > Your windows box has not registered the name WINPRO<20>,
> > so it seems to me, that the peer/server service is not
> > running ...
> > Btw, 'nmblookup -S winpro' (done on your samba box) should also
> > list the registered names.
> >
> > Inside a windows cmdline console, does 'net share' list your
> > exports? 'net statistics server' should also list some info.
> >
> > Cheers, Günter
> >

> Hello Günter
>
> I'm not sure what to make of the url you sent me
> but here is the results of all the tests you suggested.
>
> BTW, not only does winpro not show in Linneighborhood
> but it doesn't show in Network Neighborhood on a Win 98 box.
>
> root at kinda samba # nmblookup -S winpro
> --------------------------------------
> querying winpro on 10.22.44.255
> 10.22.44.11 winpro<00>
> Looking up status of 10.22.44.11
>          WINPRO          <00> -         M <ACTIVE>
>          LANET           <00> - <GROUP> M <ACTIVE>
>          LANET           <1e> - <GROUP> M <ACTIVE>
>
>          MAC Address = 00-16-17-EE-F4-F8
>
> c:\net shareShare
> -----------------
>
> name   Resource                        Remark
> print$       C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers
>                                               Printer Drivers
> C$           C:\                             Default share
> ADMIN$       C:\WINDOWS                      Remote Admin
> IPC$                                         Remote IPC
> C            C:\
> lba          C:\Documents and Settings\lba
> SharedDocs   C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\DOCUMENTS
>
> Printer      LPT1:                  Spooled  HP DeskJet 500
> The command completed successfully.
>

> c:\net statistics server
> ------------------------
> Server Statistics for \\WINPRO
>
> Statistics since 4/29/2008 12:43 PM

> [...]

To me it still looks like your winxp "server"-service is not running
or some other related stuff has been messed up.
You can check that by using
   Control Panel-> Administrative Tools -> Services
Have a close look at the "server" service to be up and running...
When you are there, also check the "Computer Browser" to
be running.

Anyway - this one seems not to be samba related.
Cheers, Günter

Btw - samba related stuff is also discussed on irc at irc.freenode.net
channel #samba.