[Samba] msdfs root -- client error "refers to a location thatisunavailable"

TEXIER David d.texier at galitt.com
Sat Mar 15 12:32:34 GMT 2008

Hi,

I have a msdfs samba root on a Centos server , authentication with winbind +
Active Directory in a windows domain.

Everything is working fine and it's true you have to reboot your XP computer
to be sure to reach the dfs root.

On my Xp client , i see the links in the msdfs root as dfs folders (in the
windows explorer)

My problem wich seems to be like yours :

If a take the same XP client connected via a ssh connection ( i use the port
forwarding option for the samba port 139) then i can't access the dfs root
(though i can reach the shares with no problem) and on the Windows explorer,
the dfs links are no more recognised as dfs folders and i can't connect .

In my samba log i also have the path does not exist error.

If  i open a full vpn connection (not only the ssh port forwarding for the
port 139) then evrything is working again, the dfs links are recognised as
dfs folders in windows explorer.

Your problem and mine is something around there.

An authentification problem and then the XP client doesn't understand he is
facing a dfs link .

Is there a way to fix this ??

To tell XP to always consider such a place in the network as a dfs share ??

I tried the xp patched dealing with dfs but nothing changed?

Anyone can help ?

Reagrds

David