[Samba] Re: Samba with ldap backend password change trigger

Jamrock news_jamrock at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 30 18:15:54 GMT 2008

"Madars Vitolins" <m at silodev.eu> wrote in message
news:47EBAB74.4090800 at silodev.eu...
> Hello,
>
> For samba acting as PDC with ldap backend (openldap) is it possible to
> hook some how password change event?
> So that if user in windows changes domain user password, it will update
> ldap account as usual but is it possible to trigger for some shell
> script to receive username and *plain* new password password?
>
> This could help for automation to update password in other systems.
>
> I am using smbldap-tools for samba ldap backend management

I hope I am understanding your question.  You can configure the smb.conf
file so that when a user changes his Windows (Samba)  password, it changes
the other ldap password.  I don't know if it will change the password in the
/etc/passwd file.

This works when you are using OpenLDAP for authentication with a number of
LDAP aware applications such as Samba, qmail-ldap and Openfire.

You can put the following command in your smb.conf file:

ldap passwd sync = yes