[Samba] Recycle module... Stable?

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Thu Mar 20 10:25:39 GMT 2008

> How stable and tested is the Recycle module?

Very, we've been using recycle on a Samba server with ~250 users for ~4
years now.  No problems.

> In particular, the version that's supplied with Debian Etch.
> The reason I ask is that some files have gone from one of our servers
> (so says a user, anyway). They were supposedly in a share that uses the
> recycle module, but there's no copy in the recycle directory or the
> place they thought they were.

I'm put emphasis on the word "supposedly".   We've had reports of
vanishing files occasionally.  Every time it has turned out the files
wither were in the recycle from somewhere other than where the user said
they were or a scan of backups indicated they were never there (at least
for a very long time).

> Of course it's more likely user error than anything else... But I'm
> curious still.

Yep.