[Samba] Get logged on username (several sessions on the same machine)

Kurthermal kurt.hermal at laposte.net
Fri Mar 14 21:21:12 GMT 2008

I'm aware that the fact connections aren't while the should is a client
issue (let's say due to a finger press on the reset switch). I also know
that it can possible that multiple users have a session open from the
same machine (let's say a Linux box where Alice and Bob are connected
with SSH and where they "smbmount" some ressources on a Samba Server).
I now understand that there is no really a way to do what I want only
with Samba, and that this is due to pure logic and SMB/CIFS
specifications (if I'm wrong, please correct me).

root preexec option in [netlogon] resource definition helps me now to
get the real name of the connected user (since in my case only one
person can use a workstation).

Note that I see more than one execution of "root preexec" in one logon,
as if client opens/closes/opens/closes/opens "netlogon" share from 2 to
4 times in its logon procedure...

Thanks for your answer, cheers.
K.