[Samba] Samba + Kerberos ONLY NO AD

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Mar 13 02:57:28 GMT 2008

On Sun, 2008-03-09 at 16:09 -0500, gerryw at compvia.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What I mean by plain kerberos is the ability to use kerberos as an
> authentication mechanism to samba instead of smbpasswd. So... when a
> particular user tries to map a samba share, samba would use kerberos to
> authenticate the user. Samba would be playing the role of a typical
> kerberized application in this case.

Provided you have organised your kerberos clients to get a TGT etc, then
Samba3 can happily be a normal kerberos client, look at the 'use
kerberos keytab' option (from memory).  Users will natually need to
exist in /etc/passwd or equivilant.

If you want an AD-like login to a Samba domain, look at the work we are
doing on Samba4.

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett