[Samba] NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

Carl Carpenter ccarpenter at hillcountry.org
Mon Mar 10 20:55:38 GMT 2008

I am trying to run Samba 3.0.24-11.fc6 on Fedora Core 6.  I've run across
two problems that are keeping me from being successful.

1.  IPTables.  Even when I configure it through Webmin to not run at
startup, it does anyway.  I consider this a minor problem, at least for now,
although I wouldn't mind some input on how to configure it to allow Samba.

2.  Access to shares.  We are running an NT4 network.  I have joined the
Samba server to the domain and can see it in the browse list on my XP
machine.  I can also see the shares.  However, when I double-click on the
shares, I am prompted for a password which fails.  I have been through Samba
Security and Troubleshooting guide from Linux Home Networking and numerous
other documents with no positive results.  This is the test that fails:

[root at custer www]# smbclient //Custer/Intranet -U ccarpenter
Password:
Domain=[HCCMHMRC] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.24-11.fc6]
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME

This test works (Colnago being the PDC):

[root at custer www]# smbclient -L Custer
Password:
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[HCCMHMRC] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.24-11.fc6]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        Intranet        Disk
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Intranet)
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[HCCMHMRC] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.24-11.fc6]

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        COLNAGO
        CUSTER               Intranet

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        HCCMHMRC             COLNAGO

My username on the NT4 network is exactly the same as on the Samba server;
however, I have no password on the Samba server.  I use this setup on
several other servers with no problem, which is part of the irony of the
situation.  I have another server running FC6 and the same version of Samba
and it works perfectly.  The only difference that I can tell is that I got
Samba working straight off the FC6 installation disks before doing any
updates whereas this time I did all the updates first.  I have checked for
the existence of a 'msdfs'; none could be found.  I do not have SELinux
installed:

[root at custer www]# rpm -q selinux
package selinux is not installed

Testparm shows the following:

[root at custer www]# testparm -s
Processing section "[Intranet]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_MEMBER
[global]
        workgroup = HCCMHMRC
        server string = Intranet
        security = DOMAIN
        password server = Colnago
        log level = 3
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 50
        preferred master = No
        dns proxy = No
        wins server = 192.168.0.7
        default service = Intranet

[Intranet]
        path = /var/www/html
        read only = No
        create mask = 0774
        directory mask = 0775
        guest ok = Yes

The actual smb.conf looks like this:

#======================= Global Settings ==================================
[global]
        protocol = NT1
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        dns proxy = no
;       load printers = yes
        netbios name = Custer
;       cups options = raw
        server string = Intranet
        password server = Colnago
        default = Intranet
        wins server = 192.168.0.7
        workgroup = hccmhmrc
        os level = 20
        debug level = 3
        encrypt passwords = yes
        security = domain
        preferred master = no
        max log size = 50
;       winbind enable local accounts = no

[Intranet]
        writeable = yes
        create mode = 774
        path = /var/www/html
        directory mode = 775
        guest ok = Yes

I am not using winbindd or ldap.

Any help with this would be appreciated.  It's really annoying when my boss
sticks his head in the door every 20 minutes and says "Well?"

Carl Carpenter
IT Manager
Hill Country Community MHMR Center
(830)258-5414