[Samba] Curious: Windows -> Samba 4 transition path?

Douglas VanLeuven roamdad at sonic.net
Tue Mar 4 21:46:43 GMT 2008

Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:
> Hi, all.  I see that the second alpha has been released, and that makes me
> wonder about one or two things:
>
> - Can you have a Samba 4 box be a DC alongside a Windows DC?
> - Failing that, is there a transition path from Windows AD to Samba 4?
>
> If either of these are true, it would save a heck of a lot of work,
> instead of having to rejoin a couple hundred clients to the domain.
>
> Thanks much,
>
> -Ken
>
> P.S.  Kudos on whoever thought of the Python scripting hooks.  While I
> don't "speak" Python, it would certainly be a strong incentive to learn
> it!

I recently enquired on the technical list and got an answer.

There exist vampire scripts to pull from an existing AD.  But right now
those scripts are transitioning from an older scripting language into
python and transitioning to a native AD methodology from an NT4 method.

Just have to wait a while.

Someone else will have to answer about samba4 as a DC with an MS DC in
harmony, although I wouldn't think that would be a goal.

Regards, Doug