[Samba] Samba, Kerberos and LDAP Question

Alex alexthegamer at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 18:31:09 GMT 2008

Hello Everyone,

I have a question regarding Samba, Kerberos, and LDAP. Specifically, I would
like to have users authenticate through Samba using the existing information
stored in Kerberos and LDAP. According to the documents I have read, this is
similar to the mechanism used by Microsoft's Active Directory, which Samba
supports. However, I am completely confused on this issue: can MIT Kerberos
and OpenLDAP be used as a backend to Samba? I have no Windows servers on the
network, and attempts to authenticate against Kerberos have left all of the
smb tools responding "cannot find DC for domain"

If necessary, I will post the configuration information, but at this point,
I only wish to find out if such a set up is currently possible. (I appolize
if this question is common, but I could not find any clear answer after 72
hours of searching).

Sincerely,
Alex