[Samba] WINS server looses election irregular in a heterogeneous network

Timo Meinen timomeinen at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 19 22:15:10 GMT 2008

Dear Charlie,

thank you for the tip of setting "announce version" to keep Master Browser.
But it just keeps Master Browser for 6 hours. This is the nmb-log:

===

[2008/06/19 23:51:00, 2] nmbd/nmbd_elections.c:run_elections(204)
  run_elections: >>> Won election for workgroup WODANLAN on subnet 10.0.80.5<<<
[2008/06/19 23:51:00, 2]
nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:become_local_master_browser(525)
  become_local_master_browser: Awaiting potential browser state. Current
state is 4
[2008/06/19 23:51:09, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_incomingdgrams.c:process_local_master_announce(309)
  process_local_master_announce: Server ERSTER at IP 10.0.80.219 is
announcing itself as a local master browser for workgroup WODANLAN and we
think we are master. Forcing election.
[2008/06/19 23:51:09, 2]
nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:unbecome_local_master_browser(280)
  unbecome_local_master_browser: unbecoming local master for workgroup
WODANLAN on subnet 10.0.80.5
[2008/06/19 23:51:09, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:unbecome_local_master_success(149)
  *****

  Samba name server SHODAN has stopped being a local master browser for
workgroup WODANLAN on subnet 10.0.80.5

  *****
[2008/06/19 23:51:11, 2] nmbd/nmbd_elections.c:send_election_dgram(41)
  send_election_dgram: Sending election packet for workgroup WODANLAN on
subnet 10.0.80.5

===

Do you have any other ideas? I don't understand why the election is won when
the server is restarted, but why it is lost, when it keeps a few hours
online.

Best regards,

Timo

2008/6/12, Charlie <medievalist at gmail.com>:

> Have you tried setting your "announce version" instead of just
> manipulating OS level?
>
>    announce version = 4.9  is the default, which is less than XP for
> example.
>
> Perhaps an "announce version = 5.3" would solve your problem, I dunno.
>
> --Charlie
>

> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 4:52 AM, Timo Meinen <timomeinen at googlemail.com>
> wrote:
> > Dear Samba-Users,
> >
> > I have to administer a Samba WINS Server in a heterogenous network. It's
> > student hostel with about 200 mixed (Windows, Linux, Mac OS X) computers.
> We
> > have a DHCP, which delivers the WINS-Server address to the clients. I
> don't
> > have access to the clients.
> >
> > The problem is, that the WINS-Server (Samba 3.0.27) looses the
> > Master-Browser election irregulary. I can't configure Samba a way, that
> > it keeps the MSB.
> >
> > Example from the log.nmbd:
> >
> > ===
> > [2008/06/09 22:15:45, 0]
> > nmbd/nmbd_incomingdgrams.c:process_local_master_announce(309)
> > process_local_master_announce: Server GUERO at IP 10.0.80.221 is
> announcing
> > itself as a local master browser for workgroup WODANLAN and we think we
> are
> > master. Forcing election.
> > [2008/06/09 22:15:45, 2]
> > nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:unbecome_local_master_browser(280)
> > unbecome_local_master_browser: unbecoming local master for workgroup
> > WODANLAN on subnet 10.0.80.5
> > [2008/06/09 22:15:45, 0]
> > nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:unbecome_local_master_success(149)
> > *****
> >
> > Samba name server SHODAN has stopped being a local master browser for
> > workgroup WODANLAN on subnet 10.0.80.5
> >
> > *****
> > ===
> >
> > SHODAN is the name of the server. Today it's GUERO, who is winning the
> > election. Yesterday, it was another computer.
> >
> > When I restart the smbd/nmdb it wins the election and the network
> browsing
> > operates normally. Is there any way to be sure, that SHODAN keeps the
> MSB?
> >
> > At the moment I have a cron, which restarts the smb-server every 30
> minutes,
> > so that it wins the election and becomes the MSB, but that's really a
> [...]

Glück Auf
Timo