[Samba] Restrict permission changes

Eric Diven eric.diven at edsiohio.com
Mon Jun 16 14:58:18 GMT 2008

Hmmm.  I don't know if there's a way to do this in smb.conf.  Maybe somebody else knows.  Failing that, if it's appropriate to your environtment, you can have a unix user own the files (who never logs on as a windows user) and set the inherit owner option in the smb.conf file.  That's a lousy solution if you actually need to have people owning their own files though.  Is it even possible to do this under Windows natively?

I completely understand why you want to do this, Windows ACLs vs Unix ACLs and perms quickly get nasty.

If you're on a filesystem that supports NFS v4 ACLs (rare enough, I know), could you remove WRITE_DACL permission from the owner's ACE?

~Eric