[Samba] Can not connect to share for a particular user.

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 04:46:23 GMT 2008

Hello

I currently run a few samba servers one being used as a PDC.

Today I added a user to the domain and for some reason I can not get
it to connect to any of the shares but "home" on the file server.

% smbclient -U gregi //server3/public
Password:
Domain=[HYDRIX-MALVERN] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.28]
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

However I can connect with :
$ smbclient -U gregi //server3/gregi
Password:
Domain=[HYDRIX-MALVERN] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.28]
smb: \>

In the smb log file, I would see
  make_connection: connection to public denied due to security descriptor.

when it successfully connects I see:
  aragorn (192.168.0.94) connect to service gregi initially as user
gregi (uid=1084, gid=1084) (pid 88931)

The share entry in smb.conf is:
[public]
        comment = "Public folder"
        path = /data/home/public
        browseable = Yes
        writable = Yes
        force create mode = 0777
        force directory mode = 0777
        force group = public

I'm at loss... Why would it connect for one share but not the other.

A quick google for "connection to public denied due to security descriptor."
mentioned some people deleting the .tdb file and restarting samba
which I did, to no available.

This user has been created the same way as all the other users on the PDC:
smbpasswd -a gregi
and then I enter the password

Any help would be greatly appreciated. it's driving me nuts !

Thanks in advance
Jean-Yves