[Samba] workgroup > join domain with same name = no issue? I don't get it

Michael Schmitt mschmitt at unixkiste.org
Thu Jun 5 00:41:51 GMT 2008

After half a year....

http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/samba-pdc.html found it by redoing all my previous PDC work almost from scratch. I had several other difficult / important things to do, but now I am back on the samba trail...

so the passage is in the mentioned url at:
"Joining Domain Fails Because of Existing Machine Account"

it reads: "... Further, if the machine is already a “member of a
workgroup” that is the same name as the domain you are joining (bad
idea), you will get this message. Change the workgroup name to something
else it does not matter what reboot, and try again."

more soon... and again, sorry it took so long :/

regards
Michael