[Samba] Scanning Trusted Hosts - Winbindd

Damian McGuckin damianm at esi.com.au
Thu Jul 31 03:10:51 GMT 2008

Even with the definition

	'allow trusted domains = no'

Winbindd still regularly scans the trusted domains. Why it needs to, I
have no idea. But the load on Winbindd is horrendous to the point where it
nearly cripples it in a scenario where the domain in question is connected
to many others around the word in a corporate intranet.

And then, when you do

	wbinfo --domain MYDOMAIN -u

it will, if it is busy scanning those domains, simply time out on that
request. The international links are quickish, but they can get busy. And
I only want the ones in my local domain. If you remove the '--domain', it
is even worse as it trys to find the users in the trusted domains which is
a population of over 30,000, as well as the ones locally which are only
about 1000+. I only want to ask about ones in our local, country-wide,
intranet.

Because it takes nearly 4 minutes to go through all those domains, and
failing to resolve their names, you only have a 1 minute window to do
complex things before it starts scanning again.

How do I tell Winbindd to only do things local to our OWN domain? I only
want to do things local to ourselves. Or, is it against the underlying SMB
concepts?

Thanks - Damian

Pacific Engineering Systems International, 277-279 Broadway, Broadway NSW 2007
Ph:+61-2-8571-0847 .. Fx:+61-2-9692-9623 | unsolicited email not wanted here !
Views and opinions here are mine and not those of any past or present employer