[Samba] Linux Authentication Ideas

Linux Addict linuxaddict7 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 21:37:28 GMT 2008

Hello Everyone, I have been tasked to work on consolidating
authentication to achieve single sign-on using Active Directory.

We have mix of Linux and Windows Hosts.  All Linux hosts do local
authentication currently and Windows hosts authenticates Active directory.

I have been thinking of using Samba to authenticate Linux Hosts against
Active Directory. I am fairly confident of configuring straight Linux to
AD authentication. But we have 2 Active Directory forests. AD2 is
trusted by AD1 and all the Linux hosts will be part of AD1.

The idea is to have a AD1 resource and AD2 users. So we will need Linux
Hosts to authenticate users of both AD1 and AD2.  I am not sure about
how to map uid/gid and also weather kerboros will be able to
authenticate both Domains.

If you guys can throw some ideas on how to achieve this, that will be great.

Cheers, LA