[Samba] NT_STATUS_NO_LOGON_SERVERS

James Whitwell jams at momento.com.au
Mon Jul 7 07:25:46 GMT 2008

Hi,

I've been following the troubleshooting guide, but our situation is a
little different, so hopefully someone will be able to help out.  :)

We've got three machines, a domain controller running samba 3.0.10 (OSX
10.3), a server running Win 2k3 server, and a client running samba
3.0.24 (Ubuntu).  The problem we're having is trying to connect to the
Win 2k3 server from the samba 3.0.24 client, via smbfs.  During
troubleshooting I've started using smbclient to try and diagnose the
problem, and most of the time I get this error:

session setup failed: NT_STATUS_NO_LOGON_SERVERS

And rarely we get

session setup failed: Call timed out: server did not respond after 20000
milliseconds

 From the client I've tried "smbclient -L DOMAIN_SERVER -U%", which
returns browseable shares.  Running "smbclient -L WIN2K3SERVER -U%" gives me

Domain=[GP] OS=[Windows Server 2003 3790 Service Pack 2] Server=[Windows
Server 2003 5.2]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
cli_rpc_pipe_open: cli_nt_create failed on pipe \srvsvc to machine
workflow.  Error was NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
Domain=[GP] OS=[Windows Server 2003 3790 Service Pack 2] Server=[Windows
Server 2003 5.2]

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
(lots of server names deleted here)

Which I guess seems reasonable (although the machine does allow browsing
it's shares from other Windows boxes).

Then when I run "smbclient -L WIN2K3SERVER -U <a-real-username> -W
<our-domain>" it says either:

jams at archive:/usr/share/doc/samba$ smbclient -L WIN2K3SERVER -W
OURDOMAIN -U USERNAME
Password:
session setup failed: Call timed out: server did not respond after 20000
milliseconds
jams at archive:/usr/share/doc/samba$ smbclient -L WIN2K3SERVER -W
OURDOMAIN -U USERNAME
Password:
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_NO_LOGON_SERVERS

The second error happens most of the time.  I can definitely get to the
domain server via ping, and via smbclient.  I've verified the share name
and username and password from another machine.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
 James.