[Samba] Trouble with restricting access and ads

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 12:01:33 GMT 2008

On 1/30/08, simo <idra at samba.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-01-29 at 23:00 -0400, D G Teed wrote:
> > We are migrating old FreeBSD machines to Redhat EL 5.
> >
> > On FreeBSD, we have previously used "valid users =" with sucess.
> > "valid users" was never a group, but always a list of user names like:
> > valid users = david joe henry
> >
> > Moving to Redhat Enterprise 5,
>
> [...]
>
> > Please shed some light on this if anyone can.
>
> Why people never read release notes ? :-D
>
> Since a few samba versions the usernames must be fully qualified
>
> In domain FOO with user Bar you set:
> valid users = FOO\Bar
>
> setting just valid users = Bar  won't do it.

In what I saw from running winbindd with debug tracing, it looked
like the domain was being prepended. I imagined the default
domain line in smb.conf was helping with that.

I did read that, and a bunch of other tips that people were certain helped
this situation, and none of the things I tried helped.  However, perhaps
I don't know how to test with smbclient.  How would I set up the user
name from -U ?  I would think it would need double backslashes on
the shell?  Or would it be quotes?  Or is the domain not needed with
the smbclient if we have default domain? I thought I had tried
this, but I might have messed up the client end of the test.

--Donald