[Samba] file differences when copying files to linux, using samba

jeffunit jeff at jeffunit.com
Mon Jan 28 20:34:05 GMT 2008

At 10:50 AM 1/27/2008, you wrote:

> >> Hi,
> >> I would think one bit differences should be picked up by the TCP
> >> transport layer.
> >>
> >> You probably have Rx checksum offload on the receiving box.  You could
> >> try turning that off and recopying to see if the error persists.  Could
> >> be a bad card.
> >
> > How do I turn rx checksums off under linux?  This is an intel pro1000 ct.
> > I am happy to try it.
> > The gigabit ethernet is on-board, but I have several spare gigabit nics
> > available.
>
>If eth0 is the name:
>    ethtool -K eth0 rx off

I made a fresh os install on a new physical disk.
The os is mandriva 2008.0 free.
I set up my raid-5 disk, and configured samba.
I turned off the rx checksum offload from the ethernet, using the
above command.

Still getting file corruptions.

I ran my md5sum program a few times on the linux box, and I kept on getting
file differences. This clearly has nothing to do with samba. I now suspect the
sata controller driver (which is under active kernel development). I
will get the
latest kernel, and continue testing.

thanks,
jeff