[Samba] inotify trouble

Robert Gehr robert.gehr at baumann-gmbh.de
Mon Jan 21 08:15:15 GMT 2008

Hello there

This morning our main Samba server was pretty unresponsive running at a
30+ load average.
After digging a bit what I found in the logs was the following.

No data on inotify fd?!
[2008/01/21 07:02:59, 0] smbd/notify_inotify.c:inotify_handler(234)

That entry appears a billion zillion times in the log file until the
file system is filled up leaving no space on the device and sending
samba into oblivion.

Anyone knows what is causing this? I never had that before having run a
lot of different samba versions.

I also found a couple of entries in the logs like this.

[2008/01/18 15:50:46, 1] smbd/notify_inotify.c:watch_destructor(342)
   inotify_rm_watch returned Invalid argument

This doesn't seem to cause any trouble though.

Samba: 3.0.28
Kernel:	2.6.20.3

Help is greatly appreciated

Regards